Saturday, October 17, 2009

9-1-1

So in our homeschool co-op, the Hawaiian Princess has a class on health, safety and manners. In the first class of the term, they learned about dialing 911 for emergencies. Currently we are also potty training--the Hawaiian Princess, not me--but I have undoubtly referred to potty emergencies.

You can see where this is going, right?

The Racing Princess was sick all day yesterday (and still is--poor thing). Last night Daddy called to check on us and I was in the computer room and therefore answered the phone in there. Just before I hung up with Daddy, I thought I heard someone else pick up the phone, so I went to investigate. Sure enough, the Hawaiian Princess had one of the cordless phones and it was on. So I took it from her and turned it off. Seconds later, the phone rings--it is the Newport News 911 dispatcher--they had received a call from our phone number and were calling back to see if there was an emergency. Horrified, I told the lady, sorry no, but my young daughter had dialed the phone.

After hanging up with the dispatcher, I turned to the Hawaiian Princess and asked her if she called someone.
"Yes"
"Who did you call?"
"9-1-1" she shouted
"Sweetheart, you are only to call 911 in an emergency when Mommy or Daddy tells you to"
"Okay Mom"

Daddy came home a bit later and I asked the Hawaiian Princess to tell him whom she had called.
She excitedly told him that she had called 9-1-1.
"Was there an emergency honey?"
"Yes"
"Was it a potty emergency?"
"Yes"

trying hard not to laugh--Daddy also explained to the Hawaiian Princess that 9-1-1 is for emergencies only and Mommy or Daddy will ask her to call 9-1-1 when there is an emergency.

Well, at least my child is learning :)

Oh and potty training is actually starting to go well--finally !

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am proud, and I thought she wasn't listening. I am laughing hysterically. Thank you soooooooo much for sharing.