Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Homeschooling

So I was reading something that lead me to this blogger and I LOVE the post that she did on public school parent's guide to homeschool parents . It's really quite good--so if you homeschool or if you don't, it is a good read.

We do homeschool right now--for us and for this season it is a good match--it is what I have been called to do. And most days I enjoy it as the parent and the teacher.

I can take off with the girls and go to Omaha so that my husband can remodel my entire kitchen and not have to worry about it interferring with the kids' education. If the girls have a particular interest (like the Hawaiian Princess and her fascination with dinosaurs) we can delve into that. I totally enjoy going to museums and such during the week and not having to fight the hoards of people on the weekends if I don't want to. Selfishly, I like learning with my kids. I like being involved in what they are learning so that I have no doubts about whether or not they are actually learning. My kids don't think twice about an outing being educational or not--it's just a way of life. While we may go somewhere to learn something (at least that is my command intent), my kids think we are just having fun and it's always amazing the things that they do learn.

Daddy and I often compliment each other in educating our kids. I am more the checklist sort of person--gotta have a plan and then pretend to implement it. While Daddy is so awesome at the teachable moments--not only can he see them, he uses them as well.

I will admit there are times that can be very frustrating. Being with my kids 24/7 sometimes causes me to forget to enjoy them. I can easily see my bad or annoying habits in my kids--and the combo of the annoyance and the humbling revelation is not a warm fuzzy feeling.

I am sure I have much more to say on my personal pros and cons, but right now I have three children clamoring for my attention.....

2 comments:

matt bre carter and cooper said...

So I have been out of touch on all my blogs lately. ;) So kinda ironic that I would read this one first, do you use any curriculum or just use your teacherness to come up with stuff? I am going to use this fall as a trial run with Carter and am feeling very unprepared/ overwhelmed. I am not anything like my mother (as you very well know), so I don't think our homeschooling will look anything like what I experienced. :)
P.S. your new kitchen looks awesome!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.