Saturday, February 19, 2011

Building a new home??

There are some pretty cool things here in Germany that we would highly recommend if you are building yourself a new home. Now, whether these things are available in the US or not, I have no clue--but so far, these are things we are appreciating about our new abode.

1. Heated bathroom floor!! Yes, our upstairs bathroom has a heated floor and it is DIVINE!! So awesome in fact that Daddy and I were "arguing" about who was gonna be putting the bathroom stuff away :)

2. Flyscreens is what we were told they were called. Basically it is a shade that is installed in the wall of the house above the windows and glass doors. So at night, or if it is too sunny, you would release the flyscreen to shade the room or to protect your room at night. When closed completely, they definately make a room dark--the step right before total darkness allows a little bit of light in. These are so awesome--not only are you secure in your home at night, but it helps the kids to sleep in since the room remains dark and they are also great for nap time!!

3. The windows--yes, I said it before, I LOVE the German windows. I posted about them earlier, but it bears repeating--the windows can be opened totally or vented at the top. These so rock--especially since the recommendation to prevent mold in humid Germany is to ventilate your home for at least 10 minutes each day. And there are no ventilation fans in the bathrooms, so you are supposed to vent the window when you shower to prevent humidity build up in the bathroom (this is again where those heated floors totally rock!)

No comments: