Thursday, August 7, 2008

Ear troubles

On Tuesday, the Hawaiian Princess got up from her nap and had blood in and around her left ear. She had a happier attitude than she has had in weeks---but we got an appointment to get things checked out. So Wednesday, we saw the doctor who is treating it as an ear infection even though he really couldn't see inside cuz of all the dark colored wax and dried blood. We will follow up with him in a couple weeks (well most likely not with him as we haven't seen the same dr here yet). So we have oral antibiotics and antibiotics for inside the ear.

Night one: I ended up wearing at least half of the amoxicillin. Yeah, not a fun experience. And that was only the portion I tried giving to the Hawaiian Princess before Daddy came home on dinner break. Then it took two of us to attempt to administer the rest of it. Luckily she forgives fairly easily. (well, she forgives Daddy quickly anyway). The ear drops went much better (until she sat up and could feel them going further down her ear).

Morning two: She was up at 6 am but played nicely in her room til about 7 am. Then she started knocking on her door to be let out (whose idea was it to put the toddler rail on? oh yeah--mine). She was complaining her ear hurt--so Motrin and ear drops. I wasn't awake enough to attack the amoxicillin yet. After several hours, I woke Daddy up so I could nap and then I went to the commissary. Daddy played chicken and worked in the yard instead of fighting the two year old and administering medicine. On the advise of Nurse Grandma--I picked up some chocolate syrup at the commissary and attempted to mix it. It kinda helps that the Hawaiian Princess is congested right now, cuz if you hold her nose, she has no choice but to swallow with much less mess than last night. Yeah, it sounds mean--but she's gotta take the medicine regardless of her opinion of it.

Now you may be asking why this is drama for me...for the most part my girls take oral medicine better than many adults. You announce time for medicine and immediately they say "ahhhh". It's really quite amazing. Now we did have a snafu with the Racing Princess when she was about 2 and if I remember right, it was because of amoxicillin. The rule that worked for her was medicine first, then chocolate. We went through a lot of Hershey's kisses. And still to this day, she will take pretty much any medicine, even if she doesn't like it, as long as there is chocolate to wash it down with. I believe Mary Poppins knew what she was talking about. However, the Hawaiian Princess is not so convinced that "a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down."

I think tonight, however, I will let Daddy try his hand in medicine administration when he comes home for dinner break :)

No comments: