Saturday, December 29, 2007

Reality Check

I know that our move is coming soon. Daddy has already begun some of his outprocessing--which is kinda challenging with the day on-day off schedule for the holidays. But until the surveyor for the moving company came a couple days ago, I was still kinda fooling myself that our move was not til next month. NEXT MONTH!!! Yikes!!! Next month is almost here.

It's really hard to focus on the positive things about moving:
  • getting to explore a new place
  • being closer to my husband's siblings and nephews and sister-in-law
  • being surrounded by the history of our country and tring to imagine what it would have been like to be married to a soldier back then and having our deployments for a comparison
  • being able to drive for more than a couple hours without just going in a circle
  • the changing of the seasons (I do miss the colors of fall)
  • watching the girls play in the snow (I don't miss the cold and ice)
  • having Christmas over again as we unpack all our boxes in our new place

Especially when I just don't want to leave this place--there is so much I will miss:

  • M, H, and R--who like to come over during school breaks to "clean" (cuz we play games after lunch)
  • PIBC--our wonderful church, filled with our wonderful away from home family who delightfully love on my kids and my husband even before they met him
  • AWANA--my T&T kids, LITs and leaders and the Racing Princess' Cubbies friends and leaders
  • 80 degree weather year round
  • the Pacific Ocean
  • Hula
  • so many varieties of palm trees and tropical flowers
  • fresh pineapple, starfruit, mangoes, papayas, avacados, lemons, limes, oranges and grapefruits (often free from friends who have an abundance in their yards)
  • Aloha, Mahalo, Pau and other Hawaiian words that have become standard in our family's vocabulary

And there are the normal moving yucks:

  • finding a new place to make into a home
  • finding a new church (which you just know will never be as good as the one you just left)
  • being the newbie--at work, in the neighborhood, etc.
  • packing
  • unpacking
  • traveling
  • feeling homeless for a time
  • all the unknowns about your destination
  • the tearing of your heart as you have to say farewell to so many not knowing if or when you will get to see them again

I truly am trying to focus on positives--but I know this move is going to be the roughest one yet. Living here is all the Racing and the Hawaiian Princesses know. They don't understand or comprehend what this move is all about. And when they realize we aren't taking a vacation, and we aren't coming back in the near future, it will hit them like a brick wall. Especially the Racing Princess. This is her life. The Hawaiian Princess is a bit of a self-scheduled baby, so the in-transition part will be the most difficult for her. Then once we get settled, I believe she will bounce back and adapt the quickest of us all.

God has a plan for my life and my family with this move. In this moment, I have a rebellion going on in my heart. Not being able to see all that God can see, I childishly disagree with Him. However, I will obey (since God is using the Army to instigate this move, I can't exactly say no) and in a couple years I know I will look back and see how wise God is. Just in this moment, I strongly disagree.

Okay, now that I have attempted to get my grumps out, maybe I can truly focus on the positive facets of this impending move. Oh wait, I am supposed to be weeding through stuff, trimming off excess weight--isn't that what we all do after Christmas, yuck :) Well, back to it while most of my crew is off whale watching (I opted to stay home with the Hawaiian Princess who has been quite grouchy lately).

1 comment:

Leigh said...

Oh my dear, dear friend. I have no words. Only a heart that resonates with everything you've said. Know that I'm praying for you through this move and can't wait to see you on the other side of it.